Home for Global Students

A Super Useful Guide to Renting in Sydney2024

It is another year of school season! I believe everyone is in an orderly arrangement of their studies, work, and life. I want to share the Sydney rental strategy, rental type, housing type, rental time and process, and which neighbourhoods in Sydney have a better reputation to help you avoid the pit.

Types of Rental Apartments


Apartment: The most significant benefit of flat houses, generally on higher floors and equipped with lifts, is safety and complete facilities. The most significant advantage is that it is safe and well-furnished. However, the rent is more expensive. Usually, the weekly rent for a bedroom is around AUD 300-450. Apartments are more common in the city, which is very suitable for students studying nearby.

Unit: It can be understood as a shorter Apartment, usually on the 1st-3rd floor, but a little farther away from the business district.

Studio: a small house with a living room, bedroom and kitchen, complete functions. Many international students will choose this kind of house.


Sydney House

House: generally refers to a single-family house with a lawn in front of the door and a garden in the backyard. A home is usually located in a residential area farther away from the city. The main advantage is that the rent of a single room is lower than that of a flat, and the space is more sufficient, which is suitable for students and friends of Monash University and Macquarie University to rent together.

Townhouse: Generally known as a small house that shares a wall with its neighbours. Townhouses generally have two floors and are smaller than a house, while other features are not very different from a home.

Student Accommodation

Student Accommodation is the safest place to live and is usually very close to the school. So it is a good choice for those who have just arrived in Australia and don’t want to rent an apartment outside the school. However, flats like Urbanest and Unilodge are more expensive; you must apply in advance, and the rooms are smaller. And there are a lot of dormitory rules to follow (for those who like a bit of freedom, please consider it!).

Classification of Room Types

studio: a large open form, the room has a bed, desk, chair, cabinets, bathroom, toilet, kitchen: generally microwave ovens, refrigerators, range hoods, and some have dishwashers (kitchen and bedroom in the same space)

ensuite: there is a private bathroom, but to share the kitchen with roommates, usually 2-8 rooms

1b1b: On this type of house website, agent listings tend to be more numerous, with an area of about 30 square feet or more. The studio is different from the bedroom and is separated from the kitchen.

2b1b and 2b2b: there are a lot of websites and agents’ listings for this type of apartment, which can be interpreted as two bedrooms and one living room in China, with the first b referring to “bedroom” and the second b referring to “bathroom”. 2b1b needs to share one bathroom. 2b2b is a bit more convenient, with its separate bathroom.

3b1b, 3b2b, 3b3b: There are many websites and agents, so sharing the room with your friends is recommended. Otherwise, there is a high chance that you will get a lot of roommates who are too far away!

Renting Time

Student flats: If you want to rent a student flat, you can open the first time to book, more or less behind the price will increase!

Website, agency listings: Generally, two months in advance to start looking for a room (September school season in June and July to start looking for) experienced the September start of the school year to rent a room for students know that the rental market in August and September is simply hell mode. The tenant market price and the availability of students and new immigrants are too unfriendly! It’s hard to grab a room for a thousand bucks then! You may need to pay 6-12 months rent in advance!

Process of Renting an Apartment

Preparation of Documents Before Renting an Apartment

ID information: driver’s licence + passport + Photo ID/birth certificate + bank card

Proof of income: Office workers are to provide payslip pay slips, and students will give the last three months of bank statements. The students need to prepare COE + student visa (have a job, need to prepare proof of work and pay slips)

PS: For those who have rented a room, you can ask the previous agent for a Tenant Ledger to prove that you have never owed rent.

Visit the Property on the Spot

Determine your rental needs, including the number of tenants, shopping, transport, community safety, etc. Be sure to use Google Maps.

Make sure to use Google Maps to check the location of the school/company to determine the location of the apartment. After you have found a suitable property in the viewing channels, contact the agent to view the property.

In addition, you can ask questions about the move-in time, water, electricity, gas and electricity network costs, whether you can keep pets &, car parking, the degree of newness of the house, tenants, neighbours and so on. You can also ask if the landlord can prioritise the payment of three months / half a year’s rent in advance (always remember to check the house address carefully, the amount of rent, agent information, landlord information, warranty coverage and other important information)!

Special Note

 Australian rental housing is basically on Saturday viewing. In contrast, the viewing time is generally controlled to be about 30 minutes, and the agent will generally be arranged according to the appointment time to open the door, so we remember not to be late!

Fill out the Rental Application Form

If you are satisfied with the apartment, you can fill in the application form, and at the same time, you need to do an ID check, prepare your passport, driver’s licence, bank card, etc., and reach 100 points. Provide previous rental history (tenant ledger), proof of income (proof of affordability and good credit for working people), bank statements, and student visa + COE (for students).

In addition, you may need to fill in the guarantor. If you can find an Australian PR/Citizen to guarantee, renting an apartment will be more advantageous.

Signing the Rental Contract

The tenancy period for agency-managed rentals usually starts from 6 months (some landlords require one year). When signing the contract, the tenant needs to fill in the ConditionReport, check the condition of the house according to the items above, and make sure the house is intact when you check out. If you find any problems in the house during the inspection, you need to arrange for repairs, such as holes in the wall, stains on the carpet, damages to the huanzi, etc., which must be filled out on the Condition Report, preferably with time and place. Fill in the Condition Report; using a mobile phone with a time and place to flip the camera app to take pictures, retain evidence, and avoid disputes when checking out is best!

Signing the contract is very important! The suggestion is to communicate by email to facilitate the bottom. You need to sign a formal English rental contract. If you are new to Australia, use the government’s recommended contract template, as it is fair to landlords and tenants.

  • The contract should be signed in duplicate, one copy to be kept by the agent and one copy to be kept by yourself.
  • After signing the contract, you are usually required to pay one month’s deposit, known as “Bond”.

Moving in

Be sure to record a video when you enter the house!
Moving in, apply for electricity and coal networks. These bills are usually in the tenant’s name; the landlord generally covers water, and the bill is in the landlord’s name.
Purchase furniture: You can buy second-hand furniture in Australia on Facebook and Gumtree.

Check-out Process

Dealing with damages: You must pay for the repairs yourself if there are any damages. And if you don’t deal with them before you check out, it may affect your credit and bond money.

Check-out cleaning: When you check out, you must restore the house to its pre-rental state. Usually, there is a check-out cleaning service (tenant pays), and the cost is calculated according to the area. Make sure to hire a professional cleaning service. If the cleaning degree is not in place, it may still affect the bond payment.

Tips: You should find an agent to rent a room. Australia’s formal agents are subject to strict legal constraints, so the rights and interests of the tenant are more likely to be protected, and it is easier to defend their rights.

Renting a Red and Black List

Red List


 The centre of the universe! The Centre of the Universe is close to Chinatown, Thai town and all kinds of Chinese restaurants, good food and shopping! That is to say, the traffic is very convenient! 10mins to USYD and UTS bus, 20mins to UNSW train. The downside is that it’s pretty busy, the road environment is dirty, and it isn’t quiet at night. 2b2b1c is about 1400-1900pw!


Burwood is a famous Chinese area with Burwood Plaza and Chinatown, which is very convenient for eating and buying food! It’s a bit far from the school but close to the railway station, 20 minutes to USYD, 28 minutes to UTS, and 40 minutes to UNSWE. 2b2b1c is about 850-1100pw.


Chinese area in North Sydney, newer buildings, 20 minutes by train to CBD, lots of Chinese food, high security. Disadvantage: far away from schools, 40min+ to major colleges and universities.

Waterloo & Zetland

The two districts are very close to each other, the famous net red building Infinity is here, easy to live, green square and east village, many international students will choose to live here! 15mins to UNSW, 20mins to UTS, 24mins to USYD! 2b2b1c is around 800-1200pw.


The famous Grass House is located here! It is very close to Broadway and Chinatown and easy to live and play. The walking distance to UTS is 15 minutes to USYD and close to UNSW at 30 minutes. 2b2b1c is around 1000-1200pw.


The prices are friendly, and most houses are new. The downside is the proximity to the airport.


The train station is close, and it is easy to get anywhere.

Wolli Creek

Lower rent and good living conditions. The downside is fewer houses to rent!

Central Park

Central Park is in the neighbourhood; the living environment is very nice and close to the University of Sydney. Still, the price of housing is more expensive!

Darling Square

Many high-rise flats in the high-rise can overlook Sydney, and the night view is good! There are a lot of Asian supermarkets nearby, and Lover’s Harbour is in this area, with many tourists and higher house prices!


Pyrmont: With traffic deviation, you may need to change trains to go to school, but it’s very convenient to go to the city.

Strathfield: Not recommended for the Korean area

Redfern: Close to the CBD (one-stop road), most houses are relatively old, only a few more extensive flats, security is not very good, fewer Chinese, girls may be a little dangerous at night, and travel with a companion or not go out!

Newtown: The location is good, but it isn’t clear at night, which affects the living experience! There are a lot of pubs and teenagers in the neighbourhood, so the security is not so good!

Surry Hills: It is close to CBD, but the security is not good!

I wish you all the best in finding your favourite house and roommate! The house is too important to eat, drink, live and travel, and I feel that the importance of living reaches 80%! We hope you’ll check it out carefully!


Sydney is known for its high rental prices, but affordability can vary depending on the location and type of property. Generally, rental costs in Sydney tend to be higher compared to many other cities in Australia.

Rental prices for one-bedroom apartments in Sydney can range from around $400 to $700 per week, with factors such as location, amenities, and size influencing the price.

While Sydney’s rental market can be competitive, some relatively more affordable areas include Parramatta, Liverpool, and Bankstown. These areas offer a range of housing options at comparatively lower prices.

There are various platforms and websites where you can search for rental properties in Sydney, including real estate websites, rental listing platforms, and social media groups. It’s essential to be proactive and check these platforms regularly.

When renting in Sydney, you will typically need documents such as identification (passport or driver’s license), proof of income (payslips or employment contract), and references from previous landlords or agents.

Leave a comment
uhomes.com | Student Accommodation,Flats,Houses,Apartments for Rent
What can I do for you?