1. An ‘Academic year’ covers the period 1st September to 31st August. Provided you haven’t collected the keys to the accommodation, you may be able to cancel your booking by writing or sending an email to us at email@example.com, subject to the following terms:
(1)For bookings made before the 31st July for the next ‘academic year’ you may cancel your booking within 48 hours from the time of booking. If you chose to cancel your booking with Downing Students during the cancellation period we will retain £50 from the deposit paid in lieu of administration fees.
(2)For Bookings made between the 1st and 31st of August for the next academic year you will not be able to cancel.
(3)Bookings made in and for the current academic year may not be cancelled.
(4)In the instance where a deposit is paid and the offer of accommodation is declined i.e. the tenant fails to manually or digitally sign a Tenancy Agreement , we will retain £50 from the deposit in lieu of administration charges.
Subject to the cancellation periods stated above once you have signed your tenancy agreement you will be legally bound by the terms stipulated in your tenancy document.
2. Once the Cancellation Period has expired or if you have collected the keys for your accommodation you will be legally bound by the terms and conditions of the Tenancy Agreement and will be liable to pay all the amounts due. You cannot terminate, or be released from your Tenancy, until such time another full time student has entered into an agreement, with Downing Students, to rent your room. Please note that a room can only be re let at the higher of the rent specified on the tenancy agreement and the current prevailing rent. This may not necessarily be the same as the rent specified on the outgoing tenant’s agreement. Any outstanding amounts on your account must be paid in full prior to the landlord agreeing to re let your room. You are not permitted to sub let your room; all rental agreements must be made through Downing Students. In order for Downing Students to re let your room you must complete a Re let form and administration charges will apply.
3. No Place No Pay: Provided you have not collected your keys the following will apply:- If your offer of a place at your preferred/current University/Higher Education Institution is withdrawn by the University/Higher Education Institution as a result of you not achieving their required entry grades or passing your end of year exams, you may be eligible to be released from this agreement. You may also be eligible to be released from this agreement if you are a prospective first year undergraduate student and you choose to go to a different University because you have exceeded your expected grades. To apply to be released from this agreement in the circumstances referred to above, you will need to supply us with a copy of:
(1)a written rejection letter from your chosen university /college or UCAS or a screen shot of your UCAS status which confirms that the required results were not achieved; or
(2)a copy of the proof of acceptance of your new university by UCAS adjustment.
These document(s) must be received by us within 7 calendar days from the date your results are published or by 1st September (which ever date is the sooner). Please email the documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org. On receipt of the required documentation it will be verified and, provided we are satisfied, we will cancel your agreement and refund your deposit in full.
4. If you cannot get a VISA to study in the UK: Provided that you have NOT collected the keys, and you have evidence in writing that your application has been refused, we will release you from the tenancy and refund the deposit, provided that you send this evidence to us within 1 week of your notification.
If the Tenancy has already commenced, and you have NOT collected your keys, you will be charged for the period from the ‘Tenancy Start Date’ to the date you send us with evidence that you have not been granted a VISA, provided that we receive the evidence in writing within 1 week of your notification. If you have moved into the accommodation prior to your Visa application being declined you will be responsible for the rent until we can find a student to rent your room.
Flexible start dates
•Currently applicable to students with bookings for Holbrook, City Point, River Street Tower, Marinus Studios, The Railyard, The Lyra, The Arch, Electra and The View. This offer applies to all customers in specified properties who complete a Tenancy Agreement for
accommodation with Downing Students for the academic year 2020/21. To be eligible to benefit from this promotion the original Tenancy Agreement must be for a minimum tenancy length of 35 weeks, with a tenancy check in date on or before 31st October 2020. This promotion excludes all short stays and/or semester stays.
•In order to benefit from this promotion a customer’s university or higher education institute (HEI) must delay the start of the academic year for your course. In the event that they do so we will defer the check in date of that Tenancy Agreement and credit the customer’s account for the unused weeks of the tenancy, up until a period of two weeks before the new course start date.
• Official evidence from the University that the face-to-face course you are enrolled on is has been delayed must be sent to the halls team before 17th August 2020. If sufficient evidence is provided, we will change your tenancy start date to two weeks before the date which your course now commences. We will send you written confirmation of your new tenancy start date.
Travel Restrictions covered
• If you secure your accommodation and Government imposed travel restrictions prevent you from travelling to the UK to take up your place at university, official written evidence from the University confirming that you have cancelled your studies and will not be enrolled as a student at the University for the 2020/21 academic year must be sent to the halls team before 17th August 2020. If sufficient evidence is provided, you will be eligible for release from the tenancy agreement and the full deposit will be returned.
• Alternatively, you may request that the start of your tenancy be changed to the first day of the month in which the restrictions are lifted and you are able to travel to the UK. Please submit your request to the halls team before the 17th August 2020. If sufficient evidence is provided, we will change your tenancy start date to the first day of the month in which the travel restrictions are lifted. We will send you written confirmation of your new tenancy start date. We will also apply a credit to your account for the accommodation fees for the period from your original tenancy startdate to the new tenancy start date.